Sunday 26 June 2011

Eternal happy hour on the white sand beach which will never burn your feet


Carol McGiffin writes in the Daily Mail about her experiences in the Philippines, and particularly the paradise island of Boracay...

The only thing I knew about the Philippines was that the wife of a former president famously owned a lot of shoes. I probably couldn’t even have pointed to the islands on a map.
But now, thanks to my brother, who got a job there two years ago, I know more, I’ve been there and I can’t believe I left it so long.

There are no direct flights from the UK to the capital, Manila, but getting there is worth the trouble of a stopover - and it gives you the opportunity to experience another dynamic Asian city, be it Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Seoul or Shanghai.

Raise a glass: Carol takes it easy with friends in one of the many bars
Being used to Asian cities I thought I was prepared for Manila, but when I arrived I quickly realised it is like no other. It’s busier than Bangkok, crazier than Kuala Lumpur, as swish (in parts) as Singapore and easily as happening as Hong Kong.
The city’s sprawling size is mind- blowing. One big bonus is that the airport is very close - in theory it shouldn’t take more than 20 minutes to get to the centre of Manila, although it often does because traffic can be a nightmare.


Read the full article HERE...